The fastest and easiest way to ensure a professional, pre-qualified terrazzo contractor is by using a member of the North Central Terrazzo Association, part of the National Terrazzo & Mosaic Association, Inc. Its members are proficient in all types of terrazzo systems, and must abide by the quality assurances established by the NTMA.
Tips for Selecting a Terrazzo Contractor
Because terrazzo is one of a few remaining handcrafted floor finishes, we have compiled some information about selecting a reliable contractor and obtaining the best possible results.
- Select a terrazzo contractor known for high-quality work and that has an established reputation in the community.
- Verify the contractor’s insurance coverage (and licensing if required in your state).
- Use the National Terrazzo & Mosaic Association, Inc. (NTMA) specification guidelines to learn about the entire process.
- If you obtain proposals from more than one contractor, make sure all are bidding on the same type of mix and construction.
- Visit terrazzo projects by the prospective contractor(s) of the same system and scope. Talk with the owners of the projects.
- Insist on a written contract or agreement, in addition to any guarantees.
- Your terrazzo contractor should be able to submit a qualifications statement upon request.
- If you are unable to verify references and reputation, insist that only a suitable terrazzo contractor be subcontracted for your installation.
The NTMA outline their membership guidelines as “.. limited to Terrazzo Contractors who meet rigid proficiency standards and participate in continuing educational seminars conducted annually by the Association. Associate membership is available to material suppliers whose products comply with the standards stipulated by the Association.”
There are many benefits to choosing an NCTA Member, as all of our contractors meet the criteria for the National Tile and Mosaic Association:
- Accepts full responsibility for the terrazzo installation.
- Provides an experienced management organization.
- Provides skilled journeymen craftsmen trained to do a quality terrazzo installation.
- Supplies properly selected, high quality materials and schedules their delivery for use in correct quantities and on time.
- Keeps informed of the most up-to-date techniques and materials.
- Knows the NTMA standards, and installs terrazzo in accordance to these standards.
- Insists that all work meets or exceeds expectations.
- Has the financial wherewithal to complete the project, regardless of any situation.
- Consistently lives up to the NTMA’s Quality Assurance.
- When disputes arise, the NTMA can conduct on-site job inspections of its members to determine whether the installation meets association standards. (The NTMA does not inspect non-member work.)