Louisville International Airport, Louisville, KY
When you walk through the Louisville International Airport, the spirit of the city unfolds in a cultural treasure trove, mapped on the airport’s award-winning terrazzo floor.The energy of the race comes through with bold patterns of horseshoes, silks, and jockey helmets. You can get a glimpse of a flying horse in the night sky with a celestial inlay of the Pegasus constellation.
Vibrant fleurs-de-lis bring in elements of the city seal and the Louisville heritage. Louisville Sluggers radiate in starburst patterns. Bourbon barrels form playful spheres. Violins delicately shadow the floor.
Not only will you find the themes that share the air of Louisville, you will find striking and sophisticated linear patterns with cool colors that welcome you to the departure gates.
As part of a $9.5 million Terminal Enhancement Project, the terrazzo design covers main floors, corridors, and stairwells. Overall, the design used 31,000 linear feet of divider strip and 32 colors of epoxy terrazzo. Each color shines and each inlay sparkles in this intricate design that brings the spirit of Louisville to the millions of travelers that walk through this terminal.
The design and installation won a prestigious 2018 Honor Award from the National Terrazzo and Mosaic Association (NTMA).
- Location: Louisville, KY
- Project Name: Louisville International Airport Terminal Enhancement Project
- Owner/Client: Louisville Regional Airport Authority
- Terrazzo Contractor: Rosa Mosaic & Tile Company
- Architect: Alliiance and Stengel Hill Architecture
- General Contractor: Wehr Constructors Inc.
- Epoxy Resin Supplier: Key Resin Company
- Divider Strip Supplier: Manhattan American Terrazzo Strip Co
- Aggregate Suppliers: Arim, Inc.; Klein & Company; Terrazzo & Marble Supply Co
- Photography: Tim Furlong Jr.