DePaul University School of Music, Chicago, IL
DePaul University’s new music facility fits perfectly into Chicago’s eclectic Lincoln Park neighborhood. The owners specifically wanted the “look” of the neighborhood respected and used when considering the finished structure.
“We selected terrazzo as a flooring material for the primary public spaces of this project because of its durability and timeless aesthetic,” said architect Rob Roubik. “In addition, it proved to be a more cost-effective option than natural stone slabs that were also being considered.”
A simple three-color design created a classic look for a public space ready for heavy foot traffic. Aside from terrazzo in the grand lobby/reception area, all corridors leading to the practice rooms, recording studios, and student lockers were finished with terrazzo floor. The facility’s managers love the long life cycle of the building and the balanced use of brick, concrete, and terrazzo.
The stair utilizes both poured-in-place terrazzo and precast terrazzo, cohesively connecting one floor to the next and creating a perfect match with the rest of design.
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Project Name: DePaul University School of Music
- Owner/Client: DePaul University
- Terrazzo Contractor: Menconi Terrazzo
- Architect: Antunovich Associates, Rob Roubik
- General Contractor: Bulley and Andrews
- Terrazzo Material Supplier: Terrazzo & Marble Supply Co.
- Divider Strip Supplier: Manhattan American Terrazzo Strip Company
- Precast Treads: Wausau Textura
- Photography: Viken Djaferian, FotoGrafix