Mayflower Manor Apartments—Akron, OH
Located in Akron, Ohio, the famous Mayflower Manor recently underwent an eye-catching renovation as part of the city’s Akron Vision & Redevelopment Plan to breathe new life into downtown. The building itself is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the South Main Street Historic District. The renovations were designed to help restore the historic character of the building, inside and out. This, of course, meant restoring the terrazzo floors that make the space so breathtakingly beautiful.
The manor had opened in 1931 when the city was bustling with industry. In its heyday, Mayflower Manor functioned as a hotel that accommodated banquets and conventions. The ground floor also boasted lavish retail spaces, such as a hat store and dress showroom.
At the time the renovation began, the building was being used as low-income housing. During the project, special attention was given to the restoration of the terrazzo floors. Many of the floors had been covered with carpet, so a lot of time and effort went into hand scraping carpet glue from the floors to reveal the beautiful terrazzo beneath. Some spots in the floors had sustained so much damage over the years that they had to be patched with resin and chips to match the existing terrazzo. Much of the brass inlay and discoloration also had to be remedied.
In the end, the restoration of Akron’s historic Mayflower Manor was a success. Not only did it bring a notable building back to life, but the project also breathed new life into a special space so future generations can enjoy and appreciate the terrazzo and other unique features the Mayflower Manor has to offer.
- Location: Akron, OH
- Project Name: Mayflower Manor Apartments Restoration
- Owner/Client: Capitol Realty Group
- Terrazzo Contractor: Youngstown Tile & Terrazzo Co.
- Architect: Graham, Anderson, Probst, White
- General Contractor: Drake Construction
- Terrazzo Material Supplier: Terrazzo & Marble Supply Co.
- Divider Strip Supplier: Manhattan American Terrazzo Strip Co.
- Resin Supplier: Terrazzo & Marble Supply Co.
- Photography: Viken Djaferian, FotoGrafix