80th Avenue Station, Tinley Park, IL
When the City of Tinley Park, IL, and Metra, a commuter rail system, planned to redevelop the city’s 80th Avenue station in grand style, Legat Architects specified terrazzo flooring. “We wanted to reflect the grand era of train travel,” said architect Ted Haug. “It’s a reflection of city pride.”
Entry into the stand-out station is marked by the city’s seal in the floor of gleaming terrazzo in a classic pattern. With its impressive clock tower, the station anchors the town and celebrates its 155-year legacy and strong connection to the railroad.
The station features a “Great Hall” with a 25-foot ceiling, a stone fireplace, and a full-service café area. The floor has a seamless, wall-to-wall look, with the terrazzo base recessed half an inch under the stone. The floor and base gets its gleam from a 200 grit finish sealed with terroxy solvent base sealer.
- Location: Tinley Park, IL
- Project Name: 80th Avenue Station
- Owner/Client: Metra and City of Tinley Park
- Terrazzo Contractor: Menconi Terrazzo
- Architect: Ted Haug, Legat Architects
- Terrazzo Material Supplier: Terrazzo & Marble Supply Co.
- Metal Strips & Logo: Manhattan American Terrazzo Strip Co.