Northwestern Technological Institute, Evanston, IL
Buildings and interiors tell stories. Each organization, its history, and its purpose are reflected in the design. Terrazzo lets you use color, material accents, and custom art to illustrate the tale, complementing the furnishings and lighting while bringing continuity and character to the story.
The terrazzo design for Northwestern Technological Institute J Wing Infill included six colors and featured an original artist’s design from metal strip using a waterjet process. These designs were developed to reflect the ongoing research in the building’s labs.
The J Wing is an addition to the original 1942 building. The designers used terrazzo to keep continuity with the existing structure in both material and style. This project spanned 4,200 square feet over four floors, which included flooring in the vestibules, hallways, and a three-story atrium. The color and flowing pattern brings the natural feel of the atrium into the rest of the space.
- Location: Evanston, IL
- Project Name: Northwestern Technological Institute
- Owner/Client: Northwestern University
- Terrazzo Contractor: John Caretti & Co
- Architect: Flad Architects
- Terrazzo Designer: Ambriz Graphic Design
- Terrazzo Material Supplier: Terrazzo & Marble Supply Co.
- Divider Strip Supplier: Manhattan American Terrazzo Strip Co.
- Photography: Viken Djaferian, FotoGrafix